Fern over at TheFurFiles nominated me for the “Tell Me About Yourself Award” and she called me a “lovely lady” in the process. I’m a sucker for a compliment and you’d be hard-pressed to find a description of me that contained the words “lovely” or “lady”. Recently I heard a coworker comment that I was a “pretty cool broad”, though, which was nice, I guess, but not as nice as “lovely lady”. So, how could I say no ?
As I understand it, I need to tell you 7 things about myself that have not been previously revealed on my blog.
1. I have a crush on Craig Ferguson. I find him particularly sexy when he’s wearing a kilt.
2. “Bull Durham” is one of my all-time favorite movies. It still makes me laugh out loud.
3. I originally went to college to study nursing. I abandoned that idea for the following reasons:
I determined that it wasn’t that much different than waitressing.
Odds were good that my “customers” would never be at their best.
There was an excellent chance that I would come into daily contact with both bodies and bodily fluids.
The hours would pretty much suck.
So, I got a B.A. In History. And I’m still a waitress.
4. Downright, unprovoked meanness is incomprehensible to me. I totally understand anger, annoyance, frustration, and other “negative” emotions, but the act of being mean seems to require a certain deliberateness.
5. I haven’t had a drink in years, but I still want one every day.
6. I hate being called “cranky” because it feels like “code” for “you’re a fucking bitch, but I can’t call you that because that wouldn’t be ‘politically correct'”. Whenever someone calls me cranky I react as though they called me a “fucking bitch”, which may be a bit of an overreaction on my part. I know they think it is.
7. I may not be as maternal as some women. I know that. But, no matter how frustrated I may become with my adolescent daughter, no matter how much I may complain about her, no matter how crazy she drives me—make no mistake about it, like any other mother, I would throw myself in front of a moving train to save her.
That was harder than I thought it would be. This next part will be tougher, though, I’m sure. Because choosing only 7 blogs to recommend will be difficult.
Here they are, in no particular order:
Motherhood is an art, Adventures in motherhood from this funny woman who spends a great deal of time in the trenches!
Cyclone Red, She has a great perspective and a unique voice.
ignorethebucklesonmyjacket, Always entertaining! Follow him on twitter, also. He has some of the best one-liners in the business.
Fuck my table, I just started reading this “server rant” blog. I love it!
Tellurian Things, This young guy writes about television, movies, video games, books, comic books, food, etc. He writes extremely well! Oh, and he’s funny!
restaurant bastards, Ross is pithy, on point, and hysterical. Anyone who as ever set foot in a restaurant should read his blog!
fstop fun, Photography tips and so much more! Great site!
Note to the bloggers that I recommended: Due to the recent proliferation of these awards, I will understand if you have already done one of these lists and do not care to accept this “award”. I still salute you because you all make me laugh! This is simply my way of recognizing you!
I would also like to recommend the following three blogs (I know that they have participated in this or a similar exercise), because I just cannot leave them out. I LOVE their blogs! So, check them out. If you regret it I will see what I can do about arranging a refund.
whyamihereinahandbasket, She’s often poignant and always funny!
Swerving for butterflies, She just says nice things in a nice way. I appreciate her warmth and honesty.
Peachy Teachy, Her stories are “must reads” for anyone who has ever been a student or a teacher; she also takes some fun journeys down memory lane.